Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

180 days.



180 days. Normally, 6 months of looking forward to or looking back from doesn't mean much. Most of us can't even remember what we did today six months ago. Those memories should be long gone; there should be a fogginess of a holiday, a vacation, or dream that we can't quite recall. But we don't really care because it is in the past- a decent while in the past.
180 days. As I think about July 16th, 2010, a flood of distinct memories rushes forth. That was the day that my life became beyond myself. I realized as I left the God-given team, the beautiful African continent, and the people therein, that our world- what is directly encompassing us- is just a piece of sand on the massive coastline of the world.
I have been extremely grateful that the "team" has become family since the trip. We have had around 11 reunions in the last 6 months, and I personally have been able to spend time with 15 of the 17 other team members, including our host who actually lives in Kenya! The reunions in and of themselves are a miracle! Our team is literally spread out across the country: from the southern tip of Florida to Northwest Washington state! I can only give thanks to God for allowing us to be this great of a support for each other. It's true love.
I'm sure that you are asking, "Why are you guys still hanging out? It's been 6 months since the a one month trip! The math just doesn't add up." I can only say this. There was something about Africa. It was heart wrenching walk to through one of the poorest slums in the world. It was heart breaking to become friends with an 8 year old who acted as a mother and selflessly gave up everything for her beautiful niece. It was heart shattering visiting schools with hundreds of kids who were all orphans. It was heart mending to see the enormous amounts of HOPE that the Africans possesed. And it because of that HOPE that I am typing this blog. Because that kind of HOPE never dies. In fact, as much as the pain of not living on that beautiful continent right now is seething within, the HOPE of knowing that the people that our team came into contact with are striving through their adversities, perservering through trials, and thriving in their walk with the Lord is enough to never forget that month.
Dear Africa, it's been 180 days I've left. I promise I will return someday. And I don't break promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment